For news, reviews, videos and general topics about Ghostbusters: The Video Game, and the newer apps on Android and iOS.
Just wondering if anyone has been able to pull the audio files from the game. I'd love to swap out the standard stream effect with the amplified stream effect when using the particle thruster among other effects.
I'm not 100% sure, but I believe the game runs a checksum of some sort every time it's launched, to prevent cheating. I don't think it's possible to modify the game's files and still play online or possibly at all.

I was considering replacing one of the player voice sets with Bill's, Harold's, Dan's or Ernie's voice lines from the 2009 game. But I haven't tried sense I realized it might trigger the anti cheat protection.
zeta otaku wrote: March 24th, 2024, 10:27 am I am JUST NOW realizing my original post is very misleading and full of half thoughts...

So, the reason I want those particular files is to swap out the sound effects IN MY IRL PROTON PACK...
In that case: Spirits Unleash runs on the Unreal Engine, a very commonly used game engine. As such you should be able to find tools to decompress the archives that the sounds are stored in.

I'm going to guess it's one of the files in C:\Program Files\Epic Games\GhostbustersSpirits\SwayzeGame\Content\Paks
Last edited by Bison256 on March 24th, 2024, 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
prodestrian liked this
Welp, managed to find the location of the audio files I was looking for (particle thruster firing sounds), but I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. Every time I attempt to extract the files, it won't (literally says 0\0 extracted). Ah well, a project for another day
zeta otaku wrote: March 24th, 2024, 11:36 pm Welp, managed to find the location of the audio files I was looking for (particle thruster firing sounds), but I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. Every time I attempt to extract the files, it won't (literally says 0\0 extracted). Ah well, a project for another day
Worked for me. I used umodel and Wwise-Unpacker:

I did have to leave it for a few minutes before it started detecting files though.

Looks like my version is old, I don't have the "particle thruster". Just letting Epic run some updates (26GB...) then I'll see if it comes up in the WAV files. Hopefully it's in an obvious location because it'll take forever to do every audio clip in the game...

Edit: Update is finished and now I have the Particle_Thrower_Thruster files. Let me see if I can unpack them.

Edit: Hmm, maybe I spoke too soon. It seems to have skipped the Gear directory and it's only processing the Localized path. I'll let it keep running, it's a slow process and I don't know what I'll end up with at the end.

Edit: Lots of dialogue files still processing. Checked a few in Audacity and they played fine, but there's no sound effects (yet). Also installing UE4 so I can see if the files can be viewed/exported from there.
Last edited by prodestrian on March 25th, 2024, 1:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
mrmichaelt liked this
Alright, I managed to get some of the files to extract.

It's unfortunately nowhere near as simple as I hoped.

All the sounds are actually in the media path, with numeric filenames, so there's a messy process of copying each of the IDs in the uasset file and then extracting them. Like so:

I ended up installing FModel and it makes this a little easier, because it allows you to actually preview the sounds (MediaList objects) in each of the uasset files, and then when you find the one you want you can right-click and save the WAV file.

I've been sitting at my desk for far too long already so I can't go any further here. If I had more time (and if my eyes weren't so tired) I'd extract all the UASSET files as JSON, then extract all the WAV files in the media folder, then maybe run a script to process the JSON files and rename the linked WAV assets. Note that some sounds are actually made up of multiple files (I haven't played the game in ages so I'm guessing it plays different sounds randomly each time you fire, for example).
And it's done...

Reorganised the files as best as I could using the file prefixes.

There were some which didn't come through (about 900 of them), not sure why. A spot check of the metadata suggests they're music files, not sound effects. And also others which were corrupted (mainly music too, maybe they're encoded differently). But as far as the sound effects of the gear I think I got most of them.

You'll notice many sound effects are named either "_local" or "_remote". I'm guessing _local is what you hear when you trigger the sound (eg by firing your thrower), and _remote is what you hear when another player triggers the sound. They sound the same to me but maybe _remote is slightly quieter. I included both but you probably only want _local.

Sample:
https://sndup.net/ntb4/

And the full 1GB zip file containing >12,600 MP3s:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/15Ej2V_ ... sp=sharing

Let me know if there's any issues.

Edit: Looks like some corrupted music still made its way into the zip file. If you see any filenames containing "Intro" or "Outro" they're probably music, especially if they're tiny files (30KB for example). You'll hear garbled noise unfortunately, so don't turn your headphones up too loud.
mrmichaelt liked this
Hey there! So in case anyone wanted to do this rip themselves, I made some handy tools to take care of it in as automated a way as possible. I'd previously used these to grab some sounds from Pacific Drive which just so happens to use the same engine and sound formats, so it was easy to port over.

Grab the two scripts here

Requirements:
Python 3.3+ (I use WPy32 so I have a portable way of running scripts on Windows)
FModel (get here)
vgmstream (get here)

Instructions:
If you've never used FModel you'll need to set it up first. When you run it will ask which game folder to scan. Click the "Add undetected game" at the bottom, name it whatever you want (I just called it GBSU), then for folder select
Code: Select all
{installation base path}\GBSU\SwayzeGame\Content\Paks
For example, I bought it on Steam and my Steam drive is S:, so my full path in FModel is
S:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\GBSU\SwayzeGame\Content\Paks
Then click the + button to add this directory to the game list and hit OK.

Next you'll want to click Settings at the top and set your Output directory. This is the folder where FModel will store everything it extracts, so make sure it's somewhere you are okay with dumping 32,000 files. Then click OK to save settings.

Finally you will want to click the "Packages" menu item and make sure "Auto Load Sounds" is turned off. If this feature is enabled it will significantly slow down the process (which is already slow because 32,000 files). We use the scripts to convert the sounds so there's no need to use this option.

Okay, now that FModel is set up, open the pakchunk0-WindowsNoEditor.utoc archive, then navigate to SwayzeGame -> Content -> WwiseAudio. Click on the Media folder to select it. First, right-click and select "Extract Folder's Packages." This will extract the raw audio files as numerical WEM files. Once this process completes, right-click the Media folder again and click "Save Folder's Packages Properties (.json)".

Now navigate to your output folder. You will find that some new folders have been created. Navigate to
Exports\SwayzeGame\Content\WwiseAudio\Media
Inside are now a ton of WEM and JSON files. This is where the magic happens. Place vgmstream and the two scripts I provided into this folder.

First, using python, run renamescript.py. This script will automatically parse all the JSON files to get the correct filenames and rename the WEM files accordingly. It also automatically handles situations where the filenames are identical (about 1000 or so files, thanks devs). Once this script has finished, run convert.bat. This will convert all the WEM files to raw WAV for you so that you can then process them however you like.

Afterwards, feel free to delete the JSON and WEM files. I would have the scripts do that but I didn't think it right to make scripts that delete files on someone else's computer.

Hopefully this helps someone, somewhere. Happy Bustin'!
mrmichaelt, prodestrian liked this
I would love to get all the Pack and Wand sounds from Spirits Unleashed. I am not looking for any of the Monster or Location sounds. I've been enjoying Spirits Unleashed online. So, these sounds are becoming some of my favorite.

I thought I was noticing minor variations in Pack and Wands sounds in the game and the above corrupted collection from @prodestrian earlier in the thread confirms just that.

It appears the game had a bunch of variations for parts of the sound effects (most likely for each of the gear upgrade iterations OR iteration types.) However, since they are so similar, with a little RNG added to a Pack's Board, it could live piece those together at RNG each time you use fire a stream as opposed to the same static sound every time.

I am mostly limited to a Steam Deck these days so no go for Python for me (it requires unlocking some levels of Linux that I would prefer not to.)

Does anyone have a ZIP/RAR of the complete sounds without the massive percentage of corrupt?
From what I can tell, the variations are for distance... though I could be wrong. I know particle thruster is a series of overlaid secondary effects laid on top of whatever stream sound is going at the time (the extended sound reminds me of a ghostly wail more than an energy beam, to be honest).

A new update has gone through. Some bug fixes but […]

From what I can tell, the variations are for dista[…]

End papers printed for the prototype: https://i[…]

Cool, should work fine for you. Let me know how it[…]