Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
By Kingpin
RichardLess wrote: September 14th, 2023, 5:23 pm And to think I once had a comment deleted from this site that was about 1/10th as sexual as this conversation because it wasn’t in the realm of the PG-13 family friendly atmosphere.

Glad to see the site embrace a more liberal view of ghostbusters and….bodily fluids.
I ran GF's post past the admin to check if it was acceptable within the forum guidelines, and he didn't take issue with it.
By robbritton
Devil's advocate, Milty; Bill's "Mood Slime. Oh baby!" line is definitely there to acknowledge a vague innuendo with the plasm, (especially given that it runs on into the Egon sleeping-with-the-slime gag) so I think there was a little bit of an intentional wink with the slime and the slime blowers, but I'm not sure I'd read the "hose him" line that way. If you have a lot of liquid you need blasting on to something, you use a hose. I think that's probably as deep as that one line goes.
By ghoulishfright
I mean, maybe it was intentional, maybe not. But it definitely seems like they would've been aware in 1989 of the slang connotation of the word "hose," and they use it at least three times in the film (and twice in the screenplay description), so it definitely seems like a strong choice to use that specific word and not the more ghostbustery verb "slime," or something else. But either way, the sexual connotation is at least there as a "that's what she said" kinda thing...
By RichardLess
robbritton wrote: September 15th, 2023, 5:42 am Devil's advocate, Milty; Bill's "Mood Slime. Oh baby!" line is definitely there to acknowledge a vague innuendo with the plasm, (especially given that it runs on into the Egon sleeping-with-the-slime gag) so I think there was a little bit of an intentional wink with the slime and the slime blowers, but I'm not sure I'd read the "hose him" line that way. If you have a lot of liquid you need blasting on to something, you use a hose. I think that's probably as deep as that one line goes.
I don’t think it’s the style of humour in these movies. If they were going for something like that I think they’d have Venkman make some kind of comment on it. “Hose him” isn’t in the typical sexual vernacular of Venkman. If he meant something sexual he’d be more literal. It’d be a line like “Give him a facial boys”. “Hose him” is just too unvenkman for sexual innuendo. Hose him just means like “hose him down” when like someone would get sprayed with a garden hose or whatever.

If they wanted us to have a sexual connection with the blower they’d comment on it. I’m trying to think of sexual innuendo that goes un commented on. I’m drawing a blank. As soon as Venkman saw the slime blowers he’d say something like “Hey Ray, I think Winston’s might be bigger than yours”. Or he looks at the slime blowers and then after a beat pats the blower & says “Moseltov, it’s a boy. Did I miss the bris?”. Or “Ray, is that a Slime Blower in your hand are you just excited to see me?” Something like that. I even with the less swearing in the movie, there’s still sexuality in GB2 so I wouldn’t say those lines are outside the purview of the “more family friendly” mandate.
Kingpin, robbritton liked this
By ghoulishfright
I really don't want to belabor the point, so I'll just end with these two examples from the 1988 short story "A Life in the Cinema" by screenwriter Mick Garris:

I'm hosing this 43-year-old Jewish American Princess agent who wants me to call her Mama. You should see the claw marks on my back.
Yeah, right, except that with the executive circle jerk that goes on, the VP assigned to your picture will be at Universal next week; his girlfriend is being hosed by an exec at Columbia who's now at Tri-Star until his father-in-law makes him exec VP at Disney to keep him from telling about the episode in the private jet with the male lead in their new picture.
RichardLess wrote: September 15th, 2023, 2:29 pm As soon as Venkman saw the slime blowers he’d say something like “Hey Ray, I think Winston’s might be bigger than yours”.
That would've been hilarious.
By RichardLess
ghoulishfright wrote: September 15th, 2023, 6:45 pm I really don't want to belabor the point, so I'll just end with these two examples from the 1988 short story "A Life in the Cinema" by screenwriter Mick Garris:

I'm hosing this 43-year-old Jewish American Princess agent who wants me to call her Mama. You should see the claw marks on my back.
Yeah, right, except that with the executive circle jerk that goes on, the VP assigned to your picture will be at Universal next week; his girlfriend is being hosed by an exec at Columbia who's now at Tri-Star until his father-in-law makes him exec VP at Disney to keep him from telling about the episode in the private jet with the male lead in their new picture.
RichardLess wrote: September 15th, 2023, 2:29 pm As soon as Venkman saw the slime blowers he’d say something like “Hey Ray, I think Winston’s might be bigger than yours”.
That would've been hilarious.
Hose also means to take advantage of and to cheat. I’m not sure the 2nd example in that quote means one or other.

Also…I do love that you provided a specific quote. I don’t think anyone here didn’t believe you. But you couldn’t have picked a better example in that A) it was 1988 and B) a Columbia exec lol. Well done.

But a problem with all of this is that if you were to look up the word hose under verb you’ll find, well, “water, spray or drench”.

Don’t me wrong. I’m all for finding any hidden or implied adult humour in these movies…but these are the same group of men that didn’t know and hadn’t heard crossing the streams was also a euphemism for guys doing…something.
By RichardLess
mrmichaelt wrote: September 15th, 2023, 11:48 pm To anyone who's thinking of signing up on GBFans for the hard hitting discourse. :P

f**** eh man! This is the good shit! I love nerdy posts like this where we can get really balls to the wall crazy and deep. That’s what fandoms all about baby!

Some people will turn their nose up at this and act like it’s not worth talking about. But hell yeah! Bring on your wild theories! Bring on the way out there things you think you saw! Let your geek flag fly & show us what you got.

I commend ghoulish for not only having the courage to post this but the hutzpah to defend it and think it thru. I love that!

Some come one, come all, as Michael Keaton use to say “let’s get nuts”
ghoulishfright liked this
By RichardLess
jonogunn wrote: September 16th, 2023, 8:53 pm Also peter being the womanizer he is probably wouldn’t make a dick joke about sliming another man.
Not sure I see how those relate. Plus the joke in this case would be not that HE is hosing them but that Ray and/or Winston is. I do think Venkman COULD make a joke about this but I just don’t think he did. I just don’t see Venkman hiding his euphemism in such a niche fashion. He’d be much more overt about it. He wouldn’t use a term 99.999999999998.9% of the audience would take in the literal fashion. That’s perhaps more of an Egon thing.

I’m not sure Venkman would hold back a joke or quip out of some sort of latent homophobia. “I won’t make a joke about men sexually assaulting another man, I’m a womanizer Damn it!” isn’t a rationale I see from Peter Venkman
robbritton liked this
By timeware
Alphagaia wrote: September 16th, 2023, 2:53 pm Now let me tell you what crossing the streams actually means and why that's normally considered bad.
Would it be considered out of line to post the Robot Chicken definition of "crossing the streams" video?
By jonogunn
RichardLess wrote: September 17th, 2023, 5:07 am
jonogunn wrote: September 16th, 2023, 8:53 pm Also peter being the womanizer he is probably wouldn’t make a dick joke about sliming another man.
Not sure I see how those relate. Plus the joke in this case would be not that HE is hosing them but that Ray and/or Winston is. I do think Venkman COULD make a joke about this but I just don’t think he did. I just don’t see Venkman hiding his euphemism in such a niche fashion. He’d be much more overt about it. He wouldn’t use a term 99.999999999998.9% of the audience would take in the literal fashion. That’s perhaps more of an Egon thing.

I’m not sure Venkman would hold back a joke or quip out of some sort of latent homophobia. “I won’t make a joke about men sexually assaulting another man, I’m a womanizer Damn it!” isn’t a rationale I see from Peter Venkman
Doesn’t matter WHO is doing the hosing it doesn’t seem in line at all with him to make jokes about his friends doing that to another man.
By RichardLess
jonogunn wrote: September 17th, 2023, 11:11 pm
RichardLess wrote: September 17th, 2023, 5:07 am

Doesn’t matter WHO is doing the hosing it doesn’t seem in line at all with him to make jokes about his friends doing that to another man.
Lol what? Since when is Venkman a prude? “This Mr Stay Pufts ok—we get this guy laid we won’t have any trouble” , “Make ‘em hard!”, “You’re not sleeping with it are ya Ray?” “Yes it’s true. This man has no dick” “I’ll go back to Ms Barrett’s apartment and check her out” “Kind makes ya wonder doesn’t it? Whether she’s naked under that toga? She’s French, you know that?” “I’d like to run some gynaecological tests on the mother”—“who wouldn’t?”. Lots of sexual talk and sexual innuendo there!

So while I don’t think he did make the joke in this particular case, to say he wouldn’t joke around with his friends about something like this is kind of odd. Of course he would. We have nothing to suggest he wouldn’t. It’s Venkman!
By timeware
Kingpin wrote: September 17th, 2023, 6:10 pm
timeware wrote: September 17th, 2023, 12:31 pm Would it be considered out of line to post the Robot Chicken definition of "crossing the streams" video?
Yes.
Yes it would.
You guys are no fun. It's like the glass of lemonade is half full with you two. Lol.
deadderek liked this
By mrmichaelt
timeware wrote: You guys are no fun. It's like the glass of lemonade is half full with you two. Lol.
The gifs and images you tend to select more often than not break the rules of what's allowed. You know this because they've been deleted over the years, without any infractions or suspensions I might add, and you've apologized afterwards so please don't play the victim card and try to put it on us. AJ has his preferences and we're following his lead. If you still think it's ok, send a PM with the gif in it to Kingpin for his 2 cents.
Kingpin liked this
By timeware
The gifs and images you tend to select more often than not break the rules of what's allowed. You know this because they've been deleted over the years, without any infractions or suspensions I might add, and you've apologized afterwards so please don't play the victim card and try to put it on us. AJ has his preferences and we're following his lead. If you still think it's ok, send a PM with the gif in it to Kingpin for his 2 cents.
My last comment was a joke and i'm not trying to play a victim, or blame anyone at all. That was me being a smart ass. As long as were on the subject the hose em conversation was getting fairly border line raunchy to begin with. Which is why I added an LOL after making the initial comment.

If you're going to make acceptions for innuendo's that was a prime example of how "Crossing the Streams" could be seen as something else. The Robot Chicken video's been around for 14 years so i'm sure wev'e all seen at one point or another. There was no need to post it. Again, that was me just being a smart ass.
By Sav C
I can't find any evidence to back this up, but I'm almost certain that Van Horne station (though based on Alfred Ely Beach's pneumatic transit system experiment) was named after William Van Horne, who was the head of the Canadian Pacific Railway and oversaw the completion of Canada's transcontinental railway.
By Kingpin
Sav C wrote: September 26th, 2023, 10:07 pm I can't find any evidence to back this up, but I'm almost certain that Van Horne station (though based on Alfred Ely Beach's pneumatic transit system experiment) was named after William Van Horne, who was the head of the Canadian Pacific Railway and oversaw the completion of Canada's transcontinental railway.
I also do wonder if "Van Horne" in Ghostbusters II and Daryl Van Horne in The Witches of Eastwick are named after the same thing/person... It's a pretty distinctive name, and there's got to be a reason why it was potentially used for both, especially as they were only released two years apart from each other.
Sav C, pizzarat liked this
By mrmichaelt
Kingpin wrote:I also do wonder if "Van Horne" in Ghostbusters II and Daryl Van Horne in The Witches of Eastwick are named after the same thing/person... It's a pretty distinctive name, and there's got to be a reason why it was potentially used for both, especially as they were only released two years apart from each other.
The book for Eastwick came out in 1984 then the movie in 87. Still is interesting Updike chose Van Horne for his alias of the Devil in the story. Perhaps there is a supernatural connection, maybe a writer that Aykroyd and Updike knew of? Or both knowing about this Canadian railroad? Both have lived on the East Coast, too.
Kingpin, Sav C liked this
By Sav C
Wait, the ending of GBII plays out over TWO NIGHTS????? Dana and Peter’s date, and Oscar’s kidnapping, takes place on the night before New Year’s Eve? Dana and Oscar were trapped in the museum for nearly 24 hours? There’s the day time shot in between the two nights, where it’s really foggy, yet I never put together that it was two different nights… I’ve probably seen that shot a hundred times, but I’ve never thought anything of it. I know the title of this thread is “how did I miss that,” but, HOW DID I MISS THAT?!
robbritton liked this
By mrmichaelt
Sav C wrote:Wait, the ending of GBII plays out over TWO NIGHTS????? Dana and Peter’s date, and Oscar’s kidnapping, takes place on the night before New Year’s Eve? Dana and Oscar were trapped in the museum for nearly 24 hours? There’s the day time shot in between the two nights, where it’s really foggy, yet I never put together that it was two different nights… I’ve probably seen that shot a hundred times, but I’ve never thought anything of it. I know the title of this thread is “how did I miss that,” but, HOW DID I MISS THAT?!
Now that you mention it. Yeah.

The way I look at it now is:
December 29
-2:30 PM: Ray Stantz and Egon Spengler demonstrate the properties of the Psychomagnetheric Slime to Winston Zeddemore and Peter Venkman. (it is 2:30 on the clock behind Egon)
-Late Afternoon: Peter Venkman visits Dana Barrett at the Manhattan Museum of Art. Janosz Poha introduces him to the Vigo painting. (The February 27, 1989 script, it is stated to be late afternoon)
-Night: Psychomagnetheric Slime possesses Dana Barrett's apartment bathtub and attempts to kidnap her son Oscar. Dana flees to Peter's apartment.

December 30
-Day: The Ghostbusters investigate the Manhattan Museum of Art.
-Day: Peter Venkman convinces Dana Barrett to go out with him for dinner.
-Late Afternoon: Janine Melnitz closes the Firehouse for the day. Louis Tully asks her out on a date. Instead, Janine invites him to babysit with her.
-Late Afternoon: Ray Stantz and Egon Spengler examine the photographs of Vigo that Peter Venkman took. They spontaneously catch on fire. Winston Zeddemore busts into the room and puts out the fires.
-After 8 PM: Just as Peter Venkman and Dana Barrett are about to leave Peter's apartment, the other Ghostbusters arrive and invite Peter to search the tunnels for the River of Slime. Dana hails a taxi. (Janine Melnitz tells Louis Tully to be at Peter's apartment at 8 PM)
-Night: Egon Spengler, Ray Stantz, and Winston Zeddemore find the River of Slime after encountering a Disembodied Voice, Impaled heads, and a Ghost Train. Winston is pulled into the river. Egon and Ray jump in after him.
-Night: Peter Venkman and Dana Barrett have dinner at Armand's Restaurant.
-Night: Louis Tully and Janine Melnitz fool around.
-Night: Winston, Ray, and Egon emerge from the sewers and realize they are in front of the Manhattan Museum of Art.
-Night: Egon Spengler, Ray Stantz, and Winston Zeddemore enter Armand's Restaurant and tell Peter Venkman and Dana Barrett about the River of Slime and its connection to the Manhattan Museum of Art.
-Night: The Ghostbusters are taken to Gracie Mansion and are given two minutes to tell Mayor Lenny about the Psychomagnetheric Slime. Jack Hardemeyer has them committed to Parkview Psychiatric Hospital beneath Lenny's notice.
-Night: Janosz Poha makes a deal with Vigo to keep Dana Barrett as his wife.
-Night: Oscar is kidnapped by Janosz Poha.
-Night: The Ghostbusters tell the Psychiatric Doctor about the Psychomagnetheric Slime.
-Night: After Dana Barrett enters, a Psychomagnetheric Slime Mold forms around the Manhattan Museum of Art while approximately 3000 manifestations related to the Slime terrorizes New York.
-Night, For One Hour: Mayor Lenny has a conversation with the ghost of Fiorello La Guardia for one hour. (Mayor Lenny tells Jack and everyone he had the conversation "last night" - makes sense Fiorella would manifest during the ghost montage and this event would be what convinces Lenny to get the Ghostbusters and reverse course from what he said at Gracie to them earlier in the night)

December 31
-Late Afternoon: Mayor Lenny has Jack Hardemeyer fired for going behind his back and committing the Ghostbusters. Lenny and staff watch as day quickly turns to night.
-Night: Louis Tully apprises the Ghostbusters as they suit up and leave Parkview Psychiatric Hospital for the Manhattan Museum of Art.
-Night: Janosz Poha tries to reason with Dana Barrett.
-Night: The Ghostbusters fail to damage the Slime Wall with their Proton Streams.
-Night: The Ghostbusters go to Liberty Island and animate the Statue of Liberty with positively charged Psychomagnetheric Slime.
- Night: Louis Tully suits up as a Ghostbuster and departs the Firehouse.
-Close to midnight: The Ghostbusters march the Statue of Liberty to the Manhattan Museum of Art. (Egon noted they are running out of time)
-Close to midnight: Slimer commandeers a bus and gives Louis Tully a ride.
-Close to midnight: The Statue of Liberty destroys a portion of the Slime Wall. The Ghostbusters enter the Manhattan Museum of Art and slime Janosz Poha.
-Close to midnight: Vigo leaves his painting and takes on the Ghostbusters.

January 1, 1990
-Midnight: Vigo the Carpathian is weakened from the crowd of people singing outside. He returns his painting and briefly possesses Ray Stantz. Ray is slimed and exorcised. The other Ghostbusters defeat Vigo. The Slime Wall disintegrates and Louis Tully is cheered on by the crowd. Ray Stantz and Janosz Poha regain consciousness. Winston Zeddemore discovers the Vigo painting has been replaced with a painting of the Ghostbusters and Oscar. They go outside and address the crowd with Louis Tully and Mayor Lenny.
-Weeks Later: Mayor Lenny commemorates the return of the Statue of Liberty to Liberty Island and awards the Ghostbusters with their second Key to the City. ('Weeks Later' was listed in the Ghostbusters II February 27, 1989 script draft)
Sav C, robbritton, pizzarat liked this
By robbritton
Sav C wrote: November 14th, 2023, 9:37 pm Wait, the ending of GBII plays out over TWO NIGHTS????? Dana and Peter’s date, and Oscar’s kidnapping, takes place on the night before New Year’s Eve? Dana and Oscar were trapped in the museum for nearly 24 hours? There’s the day time shot in between the two nights, where it’s really foggy, yet I never put together that it was two different nights… I’ve probably seen that shot a hundred times, but I’ve never thought anything of it. I know the title of this thread is “how did I miss that,” but, HOW DID I MISS THAT?!
!!!

Well, that solves my problem with how quickly the usually inept Louis finds out where the GBs are!
mrmichaelt, Sav C liked this
By mrmichaelt
robbritton wrote: November 15th, 2023, 1:15 am Well, that solves my problem with how quickly the usually inept Louis finds out where the GBs are!
I feel like Louis fails to find them and returns to the Firehouse crestfallen. Janine instinctively thinks to check every jail and psychiatric hospital in the city (I mean, she did ask the cop 'dropping off or picking up?' in GB1) and does cold calls then happens on Parkview. Louis remembers his cousin works there and that deleted scene we saw -- bargaining with Sherman leading up to the scene of Louis and the GBs talking and walking as they leave the hospital -- then the other deleted scene yet to be released in full of them driving off in Ecto-1a before Sherman finishes his anecdote. I am a little curious how much time is spent between them being discharged, driving to the Museum, driving to Liberty Island, and marching the Statue to the museum. As Egon notes during the march they are cutting it close. Did Louis get buried in paperwork from the hospital trying to get them freed until as a last minute Hail Mary call from the Mayor's office to let them go? Plus they imply they had to take it slow with the Statue of Liberty. Hmm.
robbritton, Sav C liked this
By Sav C
That's a great timeline, mrmichaelt! Going off that, I can probably think of some approximate times. They probably smash through the roof of the museum at around 11:50, because Vigo's started to morph onto Oscar, and the singing starts shortly after. The museum's around 15 km from Liberty Island (I would guess), and looking at the police escort, the Statue's probably walking around 20 km per hour (and likely wading slower through the water), so they probably leave Liberty Island sometime around 11:10. I'd imagine it'd take around a half hour to prep the Statue, laying out all the wires and hitting it with slime, so that probably starts around 10:40. The sailing from Battery Park to Liberty Island takes fifteen minutes, and they'd have to hall the equipment from the boat to the Statue, and they take time to look at the Statue, so I'd imagine that they leave from Battery Park at 10:15ish. Does that seem too rushed?
mrmichaelt liked this

I'd love a photo of how you wired up the charging […]

Holy Heisenberg! The Diamond Select figures were […]

Matty Trap - Replace Pedal?

So, I have a Matty trap I've retired with the Two […]

Hey guys, its been over a month without updates an[…]