Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
If we're talking "spoilers" that ended up being wrong, are there any from Afterlife that you almost wish had been true?

"Spoilers" I remember reading, feel free to add:

- the whole town (or some of it) being Gozer worshippers
- Grooberson is lured to the town because he's unknowingly a distant relative of Shandor
- Ghostbusters still exists as a company, run by Winston & Janine (who are married)
- the OGs arrive in the 1A (or some version of it) *like the Scream spoiler, I remember this tweet from someone claiming to have been at the CinemaCon showing. Obviously them arriving in any vehicle would've made their sudden appearance a little less awkward.
- they don't have their equipment so they have to take the packs from the mine and improvise (probably the weirdest of the bunch)

The town cult angle seemed interesting at first but could also have been pretty cheesy.
starang11 wrote: January 14th, 2022, 8:23 am If we're talking "spoilers" that ended up being wrong, are there any from Afterlife that you almost wish had been true?

"Spoilers" I remember reading, feel free to add:

- the whole town (or some of it) being Gozer worshippers
- Grooberson is lured to the town because he's unknowingly a distant relative of Shandor
- Ghostbusters still exists as a company, run by Winston & Janine (who are married)
- the OGs arrive in the 1A (or some version of it) *like the Scream spoiler, I remember this tweet from someone claiming to have been at the CinemaCon showing. Obviously them arriving in any vehicle would've made their sudden appearance a little less awkward.
- they don't have their equipment so they have to take the packs from the mine and improvise (probably the weirdest of the bunch)

The town cult angle seemed interesting at first but could also have been pretty cheesy.
Done right the town being basically the last bastion of gozer worshippers could have worked.
I'm not the filmmaker, so I can only speculate... but some of the "bloopers" strike me as deliberate choices, even if they appear to be continuity errors (and some of these I'm commenting on are critiques I've seen elsewhere).
  • •Having the blue lightbars on when the car is driving by the restaurant acts like a highlighter so the viewer doesn't miss the Ecto-1 passing behind the scene unfolding in the foreground.
    •The barrel not being extended on the car's neutrona wand was a deliberate "snub-nosed" design.
    •Gozer's eyes being black and appearing red after getting shot in the head by Phoebe seems to indicate a change in the Goze's mental state because Egon's pack has more punch.
    •And the lightbar being off in a shot at the farmhouse where Trevor is in the foreground could have been a decision made so the actor wasn't blown out with blue light.
At the end of the day, the visuals have to be in service of the story and making clear what action is taking place.

Also, I think I've mentioned this before, parts of the "plan" scene in Egon's lab was definitely reshot since Logan Kim is audibly and visibly older.
deadderek liked this
Dr.D wrote: January 14th, 2022, 11:43 am Honestly, the town cult angle is one of the rumors I kinda wished was true.

Anyone else remember the rumor that the factory seen in the trailer was filled with marshmallow man remnants?
Not so much with the remnants, but I do wish there was more of the human villain component for sure. It looks like they want to a lot of trouble to establish Sumemrville as a cult town, and it would have gone a long way to explaining why things were happening and why Egon was undercover.
Davideverona wrote: January 14th, 2022, 3:49 pm So, there's a guy on a Facebook private group who claims that his son was an extra in the movie and that they already started searching for more extras.
As in... searching for extras for a new movie? I mean, they did start working on Afterlife in secret. But I'm also old enough that I remember rumors on Bill Emkow's message board about Ghostbusters crates arriving in NYC for a of secret filming of Ghostbusters 3.
deadderek, Alphagaia, robbritton and 3 others liked this
I'd honestly just be happy if they took all the cut scenes, shot some new ones, and released a direct-to-digital film filling in the backstory that Afterlife ran out of time for.

Better yet, make an animated feature. Show us what Egon was up to between Ghostbusters II and Afterlife... "Afterlife: Midlife Crisis"
As in... searching for extras for a new movie? I mean, they did start working on Afterlife in secret. But I'm also old enough that I remember rumors on Bill Emkow's message board about Ghostbusters crates arriving in NYC for a of secret filming of Ghostbusters 3.
It wasn't so long ago a person came into these forums begging for Proton packs claiming that Keira Knightly was apart of Ghostbusters 3. It sounded fishy as hell.
mrmichaelt liked this
Made the longlist for Best Visual Effects and Sound for the British Academy of Film and Television Arts.
https://ghostbustersnews.com/2022/01/14 ... ta-awards/

I think they talked about this on their MPC site, too, but they talk about the Mini-Pufts.
https://variety.com/2022/artisans/award ... 235154578/
groschopf wrote: January 14th, 2022, 6:29 pm
Davideverona wrote: January 14th, 2022, 3:49 pm So, there's a guy on a Facebook private group who claims that his son was an extra in the movie and that they already started searching for more extras.
Yes, for Afterlife sequel. Obviously I don't know if the guy is lying or not ☺
Davideverona wrote: January 15th, 2022, 12:24 am
groschopf wrote: January 14th, 2022, 6:29 pm

Yes, for Afterlife sequel. Obviously I don't know if the guy is lying or not ☺
Extras must be one of the easiest things to get for a film, you wouldn't have to get them together now.

You could wait until a week before filming and go

"Do you want to be an extra in a film? It's paid work, oh and the film is...."

"Yes"

"As I was saying, the film is Ghostbusters. Still interested?
Alphagaia, Sav C liked this
groschopf wrote: January 14th, 2022, 6:31 pm I'd honestly just be happy if they took all the cut scenes, shot some new ones, and released a direct-to-digital film filling in the backstory that Afterlife ran out of time for.
I admit I'm mildly curious what the last big case and/or the last case all 4 Ghostbusters participated in together before Egon left New York City. I'm sure we're all curious about that.

I'd love to see all the printed pages in the Tobin's Spirit Guide prop some day.

Or hi-res photos of props on walls. I'm sure someone in the crew had to document things like that. Like all the clippings and notes Egon made about Callie's life. Or to be able to read all of Egon's diplomas. Thankfully, the Art and Making of the Movie book showed us 4 of them
-Columbia University, degree in Psychology, October 29, 1969
-New York University, degree in Parapsychology, May 10, 1972
-Massachusetts Institute of Technology, degree in Nuclear Engineering, June 26, 1980
-University of Philadelphia, December 22, 1986

The MIT one is a nice nod to the GB1 September 1983 draft. When Egon talks to possessed Louis/Vinz, he identifies himself as "Creature of Earth, Doctor of Physics, Graduate of M.I.T."
mrmichaelt wrote: January 15th, 2022, 3:56 am
groschopf wrote: January 14th, 2022, 6:31 pm I'd honestly just be happy if they took all the cut scenes, shot some new ones, and released a direct-to-digital film filling in the backstory that Afterlife ran out of time for.
I admit I'm mildly curious what the last big case and/or the last case all 4 Ghostbusters participated in together before Egon left New York City. I'm sure we're all curious about that.

I'd love to see all the printed pages in the Tobin's Spirit Guide prop some day.

Or hi-res photos of props on walls. I'm sure someone in the crew had to document things like that. Like all the clippings and notes Egon made about Callie's life. Or to be able to read all of Egon's diplomas. Thankfully, the Art and Making of the Movie book showed us 4 of them
-Columbia University, degree in Psychology, October 29, 1969
-New York University, degree in Parapsychology, May 10, 1972
-Massachusetts Institute of Technology, degree in Nuclear Engineering, June 26, 1980
-University of Philadelphia, December 22, 1986

The MIT one is a nice nod to the GB1 September 1983 draft. When Egon talks to possessed Louis/Vinz, he identifies himself as "Creature of Earth, Doctor of Physics, Graduate of M.I.T."
I don't think there was a final "big case" after Vigo. From what Ray was saying, they were just doing house calls at that point where Egon started to get obsessed with Gozer's return. Honestly, I think a comic run or animated short depicting this era of the team would probably be best.
I sometimes think this fanbase doesn't know what's good for it.

We've had three movies, a videogame, several comic series and two animated series detailing the adventures of Egon, Ray, Peter and Winston. There may be room for future media to fill in the gaps in the 'canon' timeline... but do we all think they can do them justice at this point? It would likely mean going animated or recasting the original gang, creating so many opportunities to produce derivative or shark-jumping storylines. How many more comics can you guys read where they guys defeat a Gozer stand-in by crossing the streams? (*cough*) I guess it's like the Star Wars expanded universe stuff on Disney+ just re-mining the OG trilogy peripheral characters.

The best chance of recreating the joy of the first two Ghostbusters movies is to let those characters rest, and create new beloved characters and stories. We already have two very strong contenders for future movies with Phoebe and Podcast - plus there are a lot of great comedic actors out there who can work in this franchise. IMO, there is no good to come from mining Egon, Peter, Ray and Winston's back story either before GB1 or after GB2. Afterlife was the place to tell that story and they swerved it, so let it go. That would be my preference. I think returning to them (and Vigo, especially) is an almost cynical approach to the franchise.
Alphagaia, deadderek, Cory Levy and 1 others liked this
groschopf wrote: January 14th, 2022, 9:13 am I'm not the filmmaker, so I can only speculate... but some of the "bloopers" strike me as deliberate choices, even if they appear to be continuity errors (and some of these I'm commenting on are critiques I've seen elsewhere).
  • •Having the blue lightbars on when the car is driving by the restaurant acts like a highlighter so the viewer doesn't miss the Ecto-1 passing behind the scene unfolding in the foreground.

•And the lightbar being off in a shot at the farmhouse where Trevor is in the foreground could have been a decision made so the actor wasn't blown out with blue light.
Well it would have been impossible to miss ecto in the background due to the height of the car, and the fact the engine is audible over everything else and the mother turns to look out the window as it passes. There really is nothing going on in the foreground in that shot after Muncher flies past.

As for the second point when trevor gets out of the car the scene is pretty dark as it is, if anything the lights on would have made him stand out a bit more with him being illuminated by them.
Davideverona wrote: January 15th, 2022, 12:24 am Yes, for Afterlife sequel. Obviously I don't know if the guy is lying or not ☺
I get how you feel, Davideverona! It's Schrödinger's rumor. It could be possible or impossible up until we observe some confirmatory evidence. Either seem plausible right now.
gerard55 wrote: January 15th, 2022, 9:17 am
Well it would have been impossible to miss ecto in the background due to the height of the car, and the fact the engine is audible over everything else and the mother turns to look out the window as it passes. There really is nothing going on in the foreground in that shot after Muncher flies past.

As for the second point when trevor gets out of the car the scene is pretty dark as it is, if anything the lights on would have made him stand out a bit more with him being illuminated by them.
The simplist explanation is definitely that they just got mixed up about the lights being on or off. But again, they could use them to highlight the car or set a mood. I mean, I design things that exist in in three dimensional spaces that people interact with, and people miss things all of the time unless you lean into supernormal stimulus territory every now and again. Yet another case where I could see both explanations being plausible until new information indicates otherwise ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: January 15th, 2022, 6:04 am We've had three movies, a videogame, several comic series and two animated series detailing the adventures of Egon, Ray, Peter and Winston. There may be room for future media to fill in the gaps in the 'canon' timeline... but do we all think they can do them justice at this point? It would likely mean going animated or recasting the original gang, creating so many opportunities to produce derivative or shark-jumping storylines. How many more comics can you guys read where they guys defeat a Gozer stand-in by crossing the streams? (*cough*) I guess it's like the Star Wars expanded universe stuff on Disney+ just re-mining the OG trilogy peripheral characters.

The best chance of recreating the joy of the first two Ghostbusters movies is to let those characters rest, and create new beloved characters and stories. We already have two very strong contenders for future movies with Phoebe and Podcast - plus there are a lot of great comedic actors out there who can work in this franchise. IMO, there is no good to come from mining Egon, Peter, Ray and Winston's back story either before GB1 or after GB2. Afterlife was the place to tell that story and they swerved it, so let it go. That would be my preference. I think returning to them (and Vigo, especially) is an almost cynical approach to the franchise.
Maybe you're responding more to other comments or thoughts you've seen elsewhere. To be clear... I want to see the new characters going forward. I want the new crew with new gear and new stories. Hell, I want to see a new car, as sacrilegious as that might be. Bring the entire franchise into the 20th century. The cast is solid, and they've already built out the exposition. Now let's see the franchise move forward. I don't want a Disney+ spin-off following the Sedgwick hotel manager either.

With regard to filling in the blanks, I just want to see what was left on the cutting room floor padded with a dash of backstory because it was probably already shot. I don't need or want an Indy 4.
zeta otaku wrote: January 15th, 2022, 4:44 am I don't think there was a final "big case" after Vigo. From what Ray was saying, they were just doing house calls at that point where Egon started to get obsessed with Gozer's return. Honestly, I think a comic run or animated short depicting this era of the team would probably be best.
That's more in line with where my mind is at with regard to the OGBs. I really expected an IDW series to fill in the back story since Year One suggested that direction, but it looks as though we're not getting anything Ghostbusters related in comic book form any time soon.

What we got in the Afterlife feels consistent with what we've seen in other content—Egon ends up living in the firehouse by himself in EGB. The old crew left, a new crew is there for a while, the old crew is drawn back into part time 'busting... but they're not at the firehouse all of the time as Egon digs further in to his research (something definitely made him stay when everyone else left). Totally makes sense how he could have packed everything up and left when he was the only one at the firehouse on a daily basis.

I'm not looking for a bunch more with the OGBs, just a narrative segue that doesn't even necessitate the OGs being present. And that's something that could be explained by Podcast in a narrative dump when they move in to the firehouse in Afterlife 2: After Afterlife.
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: January 15th, 2022, 6:04 am I sometimes think this fanbase doesn't know what's good for it.

We've had three movies, a videogame, several comic series and two animated series detailing the adventures of Egon, Ray, Peter and Winston. There may be room for future media to fill in the gaps in the 'canon' timeline... but do we all think they can do them justice at this point? It would likely mean going animated or recasting the original gang, creating so many opportunities to produce derivative or shark-jumping storylines. How many more comics can you guys read where they guys defeat a Gozer stand-in by crossing the streams? (*cough*) I guess it's like the Star Wars expanded universe stuff on Disney+ just re-mining the OG trilogy peripheral characters.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I love the original Ghostbusters crew and I always will but it's time to move on to new characters and new stories in this already established universe. I loved Afterlife because it told a great story (Pheobe's) in a world that I loved and was executed almost flawlessly (it's not a perfect film by any means, yes).

Ray, Peter and Winston had their well timed cameos. They can be supporting bit parts moving forward: I love Winston in a Nick Fury source of capital-esque roll, I love Podcast being an unpaid staff member at Ray's book store where they go to research the new big bad and, hot take here but I'm completely fine with Peter remaining offscreen. I love Venkman and I love Bill Murray but I don't need him to be forced into a bit part of a role he's never been extremely found of and I don't need multiple story-lines involving a GB's death.

They had their time in the sun and we'll never forget them but they're just not worth being the center of a GB story anymore, nor should they. They're just past their primes, which is perfectly fine given that we've just established a wealth of new characters to branch out into this already established world with.
Impromptu third viewing yesterday after a different plan fell through. Some increasingly granular nitpicks:

• Egon holding up the trap is a strange thing. Is the idea supposed to be that he's taunting the other terror dog by showing that he's captured the first one? He's obviously not going to use that trap to trap the other one.
  • One thing the movie really flubs is the idea that Phoebe doesn't believe in ghosts. Feels like that line could just be cut out of the movie, since there is no real awe or shock at discovering that this isn't true.
  • Minor gaffe: Phoebe finds the trap in the floor. Where does the pedal come from when she has it the next day in class? It's not attached when Egon puts it in there.
  • Many of the instances where characters say "my/your grandfather was Egon Spengler/a Ghostbuster" are weird to me because the characters are shown not knowing that the Ghostbusters existed. After the bus scene, I wish Podcast said something more like, "that was your grandfather in that video. He invented this stuff. He saved New York City." Similarly, when they meet up with Trevor and discover he's got the car, I wish Phoebe said "He was there. This car, this equipment, he helped design it, it's for catching ghosts." That kind of thing.
  • It's not super important, because presumably he just leaves, but it's weird how the movie skips from Phoebe and Podcast together after Grooberson drops them off to Phoebe alone, discovering Egon's lab. Honestly, why not just put him in that scene? I get wanting the scene of Phoebe fixing the pack to be a solo thing, but that could be placed later in the evening with a bit of a transition.
  • I would cut the little scene after Muncher is trapped where they get pulled over. Just have the cops pull up right after Trevor says, "I was just here yesterday" (and add a line where he says, "There's something up with the mine"), and have the cops pull up behind them right there, and then it flows better into the jail cell scene where he's explaining what he saw.
  • I understand that these scenes could be considered narratively unimportant, but along the same lines of Phoebe not believing in ghosts, it's weird how the characters never coordinate with one another. I would cut the "concentric circles" diner scene entirely, but it feels like there should be a scene where they plan to meet up the next day. Phoebe convinces Trevor that something big is happening and they need to stop it, and says they need to get Podcast, and then he enlists Lucky.
  • Each time I watch the film, the flaw encapsulated by "Egon Spengler can burn in hell" gets a little bit larger in my mind. I don't know if Egon being right really solves any of his character flaws. It feels like they emphasize other parts of the way he handled being right in order to create something he could be "forgiven" for, but it doesn't really work. I think it would be better if the movie were more about accepting Egon as he was, flaws and all.
  • The "no coordination" thing is also really exemplified by the really weirdly-edited scene where Phoebe first confronts Gozer. First of all, the kids are already in the cave when Gozer is released and climbs out of the pit, which makes for a weird thing where they have to wait for her to show up (with the "abruptly dispatching Shandor" bit in the middle). The movie repeats a beat where the dogs settle in on the temple. It's fine if the movie wants to wait to show us the plan until it's happening, but you'd think there'd be a brief bit where Trevor says, "Okay, so, what now?" and Phoebe thinks about it for a second and says, "I have a plan."
Also, I suggested that the trap field should've been used to pull Gozer apart, and watching it again, that is kinda what happens, although it's never stated.
Sav C, robbritton liked this
tylergfoster wrote: January 15th, 2022, 7:39 pm Impromptu third viewing yesterday after a different plan fell through. Some increasingly granular nitpicks:

• Egon holding up the trap is a strange thing. Is the idea supposed to be that he's taunting the other terror dog by showing that he's captured the first one? He's obviously not going to use that trap to trap the other one.
  • One thing the movie really flubs is the idea that Phoebe doesn't believe in ghosts. Feels like that line could just be cut out of the movie, since there is no real awe or shock at discovering that this isn't true.
  • Minor gaffe: Phoebe finds the trap in the floor. Where does the pedal come from when she has it the next day in class? It's not attached when Egon puts it in there.
  • Many of the instances where characters say "my/your grandfather was Egon Spengler/a Ghostbuster" are weird to me because the characters are shown not knowing that the Ghostbusters existed. After the bus scene, I wish Podcast said something more like, "that was your grandfather in that video. He invented this stuff. He saved New York City." Similarly, when they meet up with Trevor and discover he's got the car, I wish Phoebe said "He was there. This car, this equipment, he helped design it, it's for catching ghosts." That kind of thing.
  • It's not super important, because presumably he just leaves, but it's weird how the movie skips from Phoebe and Podcast together after Grooberson drops them off to Phoebe alone, discovering Egon's lab. Honestly, why not just put him in that scene? I get wanting the scene of Phoebe fixing the pack to be a solo thing, but that could be placed later in the evening with a bit of a transition.
  • I would cut the little scene after Muncher is trapped where they get pulled over. Just have the cops pull up right after Trevor says, "I was just here yesterday" (and add a line where he says, "There's something up with the mine"), and have the cops pull up behind them right there, and then it flows better into the jail cell scene where he's explaining what he saw.
  • I understand that these scenes could be considered narratively unimportant, but along the same lines of Phoebe not believing in ghosts, it's weird how the characters never coordinate with one another. I would cut the "concentric circles" diner scene entirely, but it feels like there should be a scene where they plan to meet up the next day. Phoebe convinces Trevor that something big is happening and they need to stop it, and says they need to get Podcast, and then he enlists Lucky.
  • Each time I watch the film, the flaw encapsulated by "Egon Spengler can burn in hell" gets a little bit larger in my mind. I don't know if Egon being right really solves any of his character flaws. It feels like they emphasize other parts of the way he handled being right in order to create something he could be "forgiven" for, but it doesn't really work. I think it would be better if the movie were more about accepting Egon as he was, flaws and all.
  • The "no coordination" thing is also really exemplified by the really weirdly-edited scene where Phoebe first confronts Gozer. First of all, the kids are already in the cave when Gozer is released and climbs out of the pit, which makes for a weird thing where they have to wait for her to show up (with the "abruptly dispatching Shandor" bit in the middle). The movie repeats a beat where the dogs settle in on the temple. It's fine if the movie wants to wait to show us the plan until it's happening, but you'd think there'd be a brief bit where Trevor says, "Okay, so, what now?" and Phoebe thinks about it for a second and says, "I have a plan."
Also, I suggested that the trap field should've been used to pull Gozer apart, and watching it again, that is kinda what happens, although it's never stated.
1) Egon holding up the trap was clearly to entice the weakened Gozer into the field. Up until then he likely wasn't sure she'd bite and fall for the trap laid in the field but she ultimately did.

2) Phoebe is a logical character above most other defining traits. She's had zero reason to believe in ghosts her entire life but once multiple points of evidence build up she logically deduces that ghosts are real. She even says in the film that she doesn't respond normally in an outward fashion.

3) If Egon had designed the compartment for the trap, while never shown, I would imagine he had previously stored the pedal and connector in there ahead of time. That way if he was short on time for hiding the trap those components would already be in there if he was on the run with the trap.

4) It's a Ghostbusters movie so I'm not surprised they say the name from a purely brand stand point. In-universe wise the characters who mention it have reason to, as far as I remember. Podcast, while not outwardly knowing them at the beginning of the film, would be all over saying the cool sounding name once he learns it. Trevor knows about them but in a super general passing way, much like how I vaguely know about pop culture references from before I was born.

5) The discovery scene works better as a character development scene with just Phoebe in it. It's Egon and hers' time to bond and grow together. While I like Podcast, I didn't need him clogging up that scene fanboying over a ghost.

6) Eh, it's a personal enjoyment point. I liked the crew getting their moment to shine and celebrate together before get the dooming realization that something bigger is happening at the mine without also having the cops showing up to clutter the scene. It also helps move along the time of day (we go from likely mid afternoon when the chase happens to just before sunset it seems in the pullover scene to night when they're in jail) and allows for a few more beats to lay still before some more comedic lines from Podcast and Trevor as they're pulled over.

7) The Diner scene is essential in handing out necessary exposition in order for the audience to keep up with as well as demonstrate that Phoebe understands what is going on in Summerville. That scene itself establishes something big is happening. We don't need scenes where they formulate a plan when we get to see their plan play out minutes later. We understand they were going to carry on Egon's plan of trapping Zuul or Vinz and leading Gozer back to the trap after distracting the God on its throne.

8) The Whole "Egon" of the entire movie will surely be a sticking point for some fans. You can argue and counter argue all night and day long that the events don't match the character or doesn't make sense but that doesn't matter because it is what actually happened. Egon figured out the end of the world was coming in Summerville and decided that was where he needed to be. We'll never know what his frame of mind was during that time period so go wild with whatever you want.

9) They already know what the plan is, they don't have to say every step out loud. They need to trap one of Gozer's minions thereby getting her into a weakened state and draw her back to the dirt farm trap. When they arrive and see Callie and Grooberson still in human form they know they need to wait until they assume terror dog form and Gozer actually shows up.

It is slightly weirdly edited and I think it would have been better if Gozer returned and took her throne while hysteria took over the town while the kids were making their way through it (so they could actually see more spooks and specters invade the town while they dodged around them in a fun sequence) but as presented it makes sound sense and keeps the film moving.

10) That's exactly what happens, you can see the form of Gozer get pulled apart to at least 3 or 4 different ethereal "strands" that get pulled into different traps. We can see it happen, I don't think we need it explicitly stated. (Also, while I think Gozer needs to stay trapped, it would be a cool idea to have a villain trying to get each different trap that its in in order to fully return the God, but hopefully that wouldn't happen for a good long time down the road).
tylergfoster wrote: January 15th, 2022, 7:39 pm Egon holding up the trap is a strange thing. Is the idea supposed to be that he's taunting the other terror dog by showing that he's captured the first one? He's obviously not going to use that trap to trap the other one.
Bait. He was taunting Zuul into walking into position over the Trap Field because Zuul wants to free Vinz from the Trap and continue with the summoning ritual. However, the capacitor silos lost their charge before Egon could open the Traps and capture Zuul. Hence, what happens after that. Obviously it would have been a short movie if he had one spare Trap hidden under the armchair just in case.
tylergfoster wrote: January 15th, 2022, 7:39 pm Minor gaffe: Phoebe finds the trap in the floor. Where does the pedal come from when she has it the next day in class? It's not attached when Egon puts it in there.
I figure she pulls it out of the same floor space between scenes.
So far I'm dissecting the scene as follows:

Ghostbusting slows from 10 busts to 1 bust a week.
Because things are slow Peter and Winston start other (part time) other jobs /businesses.
Egon starts yelling at costumers that do call.
He ups and leaves without explanation and in doing so bankrupts the business, which was in severe trouble anyways. This really, really hurts Ray.

He calls 10 whole years later and has trouble explaining why and sounding even crazier.

It makes sense, and I understand they had to jam it all in one scene, but this really should have been shown, or at least spread a little to let it sink in to be more believable Ray wouldn't believe him. I mean, Peter knows he would have drilled into his own head, so I can understand why he wouldn't believe him.
tylergfoster wrote: January 15th, 2022, 7:39 pm
The movie would work just as well if Ray was sympathetic and felt Egon had gone crazy. The line as is didn't work for me but I only saw the movie once. Even something straight forward as "Egon Spengler lost his mind" would work.

Say is Dan on Cameo? Can we get him to say that line and recut it ourselves? :vinzclortho:
Wafflerobot liked this
I wonder if Ray was sympathetic at first, even during Egon's strangeness, but that changed after he lost his way of life due to Egon.
A line he might have said: "I loved Ghostbusting, and Egon Spengler took that away from me/us."
Now he's alone in his bookshop, I can see now why there would be years and years of built up resentment. (That quickly dissipates once he learned Egon has passed away)
Wafflerobot liked this
pmcbryde wrote: A line he might have said: "I loved Ghostbusting, and Egon Spengler took that away from me/us."
Now he's alone in his bookshop, I can see now why there would be years and years of built up resentment. (That quickly dissipates once he learned Egon has passed away)
^^^ So much better than the line they went with in the movie.
pmcbryde liked this
"Estimated." coming in 27, 28 million behind ATC is not too shabby for what's been going on. They made back Afterlife's budget and ATC's filming budget back for the large part. If they can squeeze another 19 million from streaming and dvd sales they'll have gotten back both filming budgets completly. So really the number they need is 219 million, not 275.

They don't give the exact numbers for marketing expenses however I would like to think that filming a popular General audience approved movie on a low budget, will convince Sony to give Jason a bit of a larger budget for the follow up. If done right, and he learns from not just our fair critique's, and fair critique's from critic's without agendas the next project is going to be a real treat.
timeware wrote: January 16th, 2022, 10:42 am "Estimated." coming in 27, 28 million behind ATC is not too shabby for what's been going on. They made back Afterlife's budget and ATC's filming budget back for the large part.
As good as Afterlife is, it's frustrating to think about how much better it could have done if both Covid/ATC hadn't happened.

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks t[…]

Hey and welcome

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]