By BarryGhostHead
Hey everyone. Long time GB fan, newly into making props. Has anyone tried to operate on the disguise ghost trap? I don't know where to start with this one. I have the trap...just not sure if anyone has any pointers on this one.
By Glenn Frederick
I bought one from Target as a "belt hanger".
Once you take the screws out you can carefully pry apart the front and you'll notice that all the pieces have tabs that slot together.

I reached in and tried to push down all the tabs on each side while carefully pulling to pry it apart.

I wouldn't recommend pulling it completely apart as the moulded foster connector halves are glued and will break off if pulled to much. I just got the side panels, front panel , front indicator and back off to paint and add a few cosmetic pieces like knobs, switches and the battery indicator light.
BarryGhostHead liked this
By BarryGhostHead
Thanks! I will do that for sure. I was hoping there would be some kind of mod to actually make it open, but I know zero about miniature motors to do something like that. lol but installing a pre-existing light kit can be done for sure.
thanks!
-B
oidoglr liked this
By LeoCor Replicas
Beyond a paint job, and the addition of a toggle switch, I didn't really know what to do with mine. That is until I saw Afterlife.

I found a cheap $30 R/C dune buggy from Target, took off the car body, and attached the Disguise Trap using some of the screws that held the original car body onto the R/C base, and a bit of hot glue disguised as welding marks, since the front did not have a place for the trap to attach via screws already molded in. I added some cheap Energizer flashlights using zip-ties, and that was it!

The trap itself is pretty lightweight, so it was still able to drive around pretty quickly! I even took it out to visit the Los Angeles Ghostbusters for their holiday toy drive to make a donation! While I was there, I couldn't help but take some shots of it next to their fantastic Ecto-1 replica!

(Here's a video of the trap in action! https://www.instagram.com/p/CXrnqNlFyqa/ )

BarryGhostHead liked this
By Mathew_impact1
oidoglr wrote: January 5th, 2022, 10:16 am I'd mount this lighting kit up to a toggle switch and give it a paint job and call it a day.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/852265894/ ... ck=1&sts=1
The RTV is missing the bar graph display. But still has the yellow LED, along with the red one.

Can someone post measurements of the disguise trap? Is it the same size as the spirit/walmart trap?
LeoCor Replicas liked this
By LeoCor Replicas
Mathew_impact1 wrote: January 13th, 2022, 11:15 am
oidoglr wrote: January 5th, 2022, 10:16 am I'd mount this lighting kit up to a toggle switch and give it a paint job and call it a day.

The RTV is missing the bar graph display. But still has the yellow LED, along with the red one.

Can someone post measurements of the disguise trap? Is it the same size as the spirit/walmart trap?
I don't have any accurate measurements handy, but upon comparing the two, they seem fairly close.
By oidoglr
Mathew_impact1 wrote: January 13th, 2022, 11:15 am

The Spirit/Rubies trap body is about half an inch longer, wider and taller overall.

Ecto-1 fan liked this
By BarryGhostHead
LeoCor Replicas wrote: January 12th, 2022, 2:21 pm Beyond a paint job, and the addition of a toggle switch, I didn't really know what to do with mine. That is until I saw Afterlife.

I found a cheap $30 R/C dune buggy from Target, took off the car body, and attached the Disguise Trap using some of the screws that held the original car body onto the R/C base, and a bit of hot glue disguised as welding marks, since the front did not have a place for the trap to attach via screws already molded in. I added some cheap Energizer flashlights using zip-ties, and that was it!

The trap itself is pretty lightweight, so it was still able to drive around pretty quickly! I even took it out to visit the Los Angeles Ghostbusters for their holiday toy drive to make a donation! While I was there, I couldn't help but take some shots of it next to their fantastic Ecto-1 replica!

(Here's a video of the trap in action! https://www.instagram.com/p/CXrnqNlFyqa/ )

THIS IS AWESOME!!!
LeoCor Replicas liked this
By Sgurk Von Spankraght
Took the trap apart, dremeled out some parts, added lights, smoke, repainted it, threw on some BoK knobs and added some screw heads. And then some stickers and a much more real looking trap is what I have now. Still need to add the label near the bulb and on the bottom and a V-hook to wear it on my belt.
oidoglr liked this
By rolandblais
I'm having the same issue - any tips by chance? I removed all the screws and it doesn't want to come apart. I don't want to get too aggressive with it... Thanks!
By PetroMan
I just started tinkering with one of these myself. I suggest carefully pulling the bottom apart just enough that you can pop the bottom of the front plate out (the one below the "bar graph light"). Once you do that you can kind of reach in enough to pop the tabs of the the top "doors" out. It is kind of a pain but it speaks well of how solidly built the thing is.

The easiest modification everyone should do is to the doors. Take a metal square or ruler and carefully clamp down the edge just to the side of the center line. Take a small flat head screwdriver and lightly gouge a line straight down the middle to make it actually look like doors. That by itself makes this thing look ten times better.

Sadly it will take a bit more cutting than I expected to fit the Jupiter Electronics light kit linked a few posts into this thread. It should be doable but it will be messier than I expected. Will have to cut a small part of the top middle of the front plate which shares some of the "bar graph light" structure. The biggest headache will be accessing the battery. Might be worth it to just wire up the "fosters connector" and not have to open it up again.

Should make a decent looking belt hanger once its done though. In my experience it is all about the lights, hardly anyone even knows any of the little details otherwise. If the lights are sequencing in a "realistic" manner it is automatically amazing.
Spenglers, rolandblais liked this
By rolandblais
This post may contain an affiliate link that helps support GBFans.com when you make a purchase at no additional cost to you.

With your suggestions I managed to get the trap apart, and some electronics installed. My Kamui Cosplay smoke machine build failed, but I did manage to install a light kit, replacing the slide switch for a toggle, and replacing the led with this lamp. I also added a thin strip of electrical tape to simulate the trap doors, and from a distance and blinking, it looks decent. Made my wife happy for her work costume contest. :-)

I found a cool tube at Ollies discount outlet, and[…]

Finally got my copy today - It's not the worst I'v[…]

I don't remember exactly, But I think I've had pr[…]

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]