Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
Honestly, it is hard for me to decide if I want GB:TVG to be canon or not to the movie. I think the GB's got a little too famous in that timeline to have been forgotten so completely by Afterlife. I think they made way too much money in that timeline as well for everyone to just be broke (except Winston).

I think the movie itself works best if it goes from GB1 directly to GB Afterlife. It makes sense why Egon wasn't allowed to see his daughter. Assuming it was an ex-wife keeping him from here, she may have thought he was a crack pot, even with the events of 1984. Makes sense that Callie wouldn't know anything about him. If GB2 and GB:TVG happened, it is far less likely that she was totally unaware of him.

Also, Callie says Egon abandoned his family and moved to a farm, that implies that he was with his family until he left. With Callie not knowing him at all, I would assume he left pretty early in her life. If she was born around 1983, she would know him pretty well if he didn't leave until 1992 at min. (if TVG is canon). Ray says that business was good because it was the Regan years and then it dried up. That can fit GB2 in there, but it means Egon was with his family until at least the end of that movie with enough time for business to dry up again. Callie would have been between 6 and 8. Still seems a little too old to say she didn't know him at all.

To me, the timeline seems to be that GB1 happened, then Afterlife, and nothing in-between. Everything in this movie implies this.
Reitman has said GB2 did happen and there are references to the film. Callie may not have been in his life as he had wanted but I really get the impression that this was the mothers choice. Callie knew who her father was but she didn't know him and never met him. Perhaps she as she grew older thought he didn't want anything to do with her but in truth he had been asked to say away via the mother? Hard to tell, these are the bigger holes for me.
No way can GBTVG is canon with GB:AL.
This Post Contains Spoilers
Alphagaia, Kingpin liked this
devilmanozzy wrote: December 4th, 2021, 8:43 pm No way can GBTVG is canon with GB:AL.
There's other threads with this for and against. I would read that as most of the points you have here are addressed. The theory for the packs not being the same in the game remember that a film production is always going to make new stuff, it's how they market the merch. You KNOW how many different TIE versions the Empire and First Order have?
RealGhostbusterJay wrote: December 5th, 2021, 8:22 am There's other threads with this for and against. I would read that as most of the points you have here are addressed.
I don't know which threads you are referring to, but the points are relevant here. I'm not going to hunt through threads about other subjects to find your descending views. I don't live in the forum. I reply when I have a strong need to. I tend to not speak up as much as some, and this for me was a moment I wanted to say something as it isn't a easy like/dislike type of thing here.
RealGhostbusterJay wrote:You KNOW how many different TIE versions the Empire and First Order have?
No clue what you are even saying there.
RealGhostbusterJay wrote:The theory for the packs not being the same in the game remember that a film production is always going to make new stuff, it's how they market the merch.

"theory"? Technically, it make more merch, but I understand what you are saying there. But by the same accord, they are not including GBTVG as canon for the same reason. It still brings us to the same fact that Jason did not consider GBTVG when developing the script and revisiting characters. If the film hadn't been about
this could had been a easy fix up. But GB:AL is in the same stomping grounds as the GBTVG, which pretty much forces the issue.
Kingpin liked this
Bison256 wrote: December 5th, 2021, 4:29 pm I'd remind you that IDW considered the game canon, but also ignored the upgraded packs and featured Gozer...several times
The Rookie sported the video game Pack in a number of his appearances in the comic: Ghostbusters Wiki: Proton Pack/Realistic Version
As pointed out earlier: remember everyone, this thread is primarily geared towards the timeline of Afterlife. There are continuity/canon threads to discuss things further in depth. I understand why but let's not diverge too far. Thanks.

But two clarifications:

No, IDW did not consider the game 100% canon. They cherry picked aspects of the game and changed up some things (i.e. all 3 rookies were hired, Spider Witch fight was different). The only events 1:1 in the IDW canon were GB1 and GB2.

In his appearances, Rookie sported the TVG pack but it since shorted out during an undisclosed post in Las Vegas and modified to operate only as a standard pack. It looked like the TVG pack only in appearance. It was noted a few times, these prototype packs were discontinued due to instability issues, hence why a separate Boson Pack was invented and different Slime Blower variations etc.
Kingpin, deadderek liked this
devilmanozzy wrote: December 5th, 2021, 2:42 pm
RealGhostbusterJay wrote: December 5th, 2021, 8:22 am There's other threads with this for and against. I would read that as most of the points you have here are addressed.
I don't know which threads you are referring to, but the points are relevant here. I'm not going to hunt through threads about other subjects to find your descending views. I don't live in the forum. I reply when I have a strong need to. I tend to not speak up as much as some, and this for me was a moment I wanted to say something as it isn't a easy like/dislike type of thing here.
RealGhostbusterJay wrote:You KNOW how many different TIE versions the Empire and First Order have?
No clue what you are even saying there.
RealGhostbusterJay wrote:The theory for the packs not being the same in the game remember that a film production is always going to make new stuff, it's how they market the merch.

"theory"? Technically, it make more merch, but I understand what you are saying there. But by the same accord, they are not including GBTVG as canon for the same reason. It still brings us to the same fact that Jason did not consider GBTVG when developing the script and revisiting characters. If the film hadn't been about
this could had been a easy fix up. But GB:AL is in the same stomping grounds as the GBTVG, which pretty much forces the issue.
That's fine your free to speak but your "points" which is just you saying "the game isn't canon" are more detailed in other threads for how the game fits/ doesn't in the canon and timeline. If you don't want to hunt then don't. It's not going to change my world if you read them or not but then don't be surprised when others disagree or flush out items of consideration you may not he aware of because it's been covered in other places is all.

The TIE comment is based on the point I made right before it. LFL makes tons of new versions of things seen before in the various films because they are trying to merch more toys or promo merch to sell. GB is no different. Even if Reitman wanted to have the game as canon the packs would have been redesigned no matter what in order to sell the RP toys and ultimately do what Hasbro has been doing.

I will agree yes the production did not consider the game or comics or cartoons canon. Have fans found ways to make their canons work? yes as well. Anyway now back to timeline topics.
Here's something I thought of reading this thread that I kinda like, that's sort of timeline related:

In Ghostbusters, maybe we now imagine Egon being resistant to Janine's advances because of whatever happened with him and Callie's mother.

In Ghostbusters II, he is inspired to include a little girl in his mood experiments because he is personally interested in child emotional states.
deadderek liked this
tylergfoster wrote: December 8th, 2021, 9:34 pm Here's something I thought of reading this thread that I kinda like, that's sort of timeline related:

In Ghostbusters II, he is inspired to include a little girl in his mood experiments because he is personally interested in child emotional states.
Except he then says “let’s see what happens when we take the puppy away” which would contradict his feelings towards his daughter and the guilt of not being there. It’s more like “let’s see what happens when we take the father away from my daughter”
tylergfoster wrote: December 8th, 2021, 9:34 pm Here's something I thought of reading this thread that I kinda like, that's sort of timeline related:

In Ghostbusters, maybe we now imagine Egon being resistant to Janine's advances because of whatever happened with him and Callie's mother.

“Let’s see what happens when we take away the puppy” kinda takes on a whole new meaning. He might as well said “let’s see what happens when we take away the daddy”.

I like to Imagine it this way. Egon had no emotional investment in the mother what so ever. It was a purely scientific exercise. For both of them. “What happens to two people who try and pro create in a simulated zero G environment”

Or “What happens when we try to pro create after spending 82 hours at the epicentre of the Trinity test site”.

I imagine the mother being completely practical.

Callie’s Mom: “Hello Egon. I’ll spare us the rote 20th century mating ritual banter. Egon I need 47.5 CC’s of your semen”

Egon “Ok. I happen to have sterile basting stitch on my person for just such an occasion”

Callie’s Mom “You walk around with a turkey baster in your pocket?”

Egon(correcting her) “a *sterile* turkey baster. And yes. I do. One never knows the liquids one comes across on a daily basis. Why just the other day I happened upon a yellow substance—“

Callie’s Mom cuts Egon off

Callie’s Mom: “Forget the Turkey baster. I need an epididymis & yours is, well, you know”

Egon smiles.

Edit:

I just remembered. Egon does mention that Ray and Egon had the theory of human emotions affecting the environment when they were still Ghostbusters. Maybe that’s how Egon & Callie’s Mother met. Egon wanted to measure the effect of two humans coupling on the environment.

I like to imagine Egon and Callie’s mom getting it on while Ray stands there measuring the positive effects on the Gigameter pro type.

Ray “Ok Egon. Try increasing your rate of thrust and your angle of approach about 20 degrees. Oh wow. Beautiful. Keep that up. Look at those numbers! Ok. Now maybe try switching to the supine position. Excellent. Try massaging the mammary glands with both hands! Egon…this data is incredible!”

Just then Venkman walks in on the scene of Egon getting it on with Callie’s mother in the name of science while Ray hovers over them with measurement devices. Venkman stands there. Egon, Ray and Callie’s Mom stop and turn and look at Venkman. Venkman gives a dead stare to the camera and turns and walks away without saying a word. Egon, Ray and Callie’s mom continue where they left off.
jonogunn wrote: December 9th, 2021, 3:09 am Lol.

If Egon was doing that all for scientific reasons then he is an insane psychopath.
Nah. Don’t forget he once tried to drill a hole thru his head!

And don’t forget, Ray & Egon already did the nasty with the mood slime(“You’re not sleeping with it are you Ray?”) All in the same of science! Granted I always wondered if they had a partner and the mood slime was just like, sitting in a jar on a table beside the bed, or if they went, ya know, “solo” so to speak.

Egon’s been described as a “New Age Mr. Spock” by Harold & Dan.

I could totally seeing him doing anything for the same of science. Don’t forget he got a piece of Louis’s brain tissue! All in the name of science!
RichardLess wrote: December 9th, 2021, 4:28 am
jonogunn wrote: December 9th, 2021, 3:09 am Lol.

If Egon was doing that all for scientific reasons then he is an insane psychopath.

And don’t forget, Ray & Egon already did the nasty with the mood slime(“You’re not sleeping with it are you Ray?”) All in the same of science! Granted I always wondered if they had a partner and the mood slime was just like, sitting in a jar on a table beside the bed, or if they went, ya know, “solo” so to speak.

I could totally seeing him doing anything for the same of science. Don’t forget he got a piece of Louis’s brain tissue! All in the name of science!
Everything about Egon seems like he could easily be a villain but despite all the science he seems to care for humanity enough to not go full evil. That aligns with Afterlife where it shows he secretly did care about his daughter so there’s gotta be some dee sense of guilt and shame for not being there for his daughter. There’s no way he would do that child experiment based off his own relationships.
jonogunn wrote: December 9th, 2021, 12:47 pm
RichardLess wrote: December 9th, 2021, 4:28 am

Everything about Egon seems like he could easily be a villain but despite all the science he seems to care for humanity enough to not go full evil. That aligns with Afterlife where it shows he secretly did care about his daughter so there’s gotta be some dee sense of guilt and shame for not being there for his daughter. There’s no way he would do that child experiment based off his own relationships.
Well that’s the thing. For me Egon is someone who is less concerned with the consequences of his actions than the net result of the actions. Drilling a hole in his head, using untested nuclear weapons, using a toxic married couples problems to further his research. The only time Egon expresses any kind of concern is when something catastrophic could potentially occur(crossing the stream, shutting down the protection grid, having the gate keeper/key master meet up.)

I always saw Egon as someone who wasn’t interested in marriage or any sort of romantic relationship. Science is his love. He sees monogamous relations as going against human nature & the purpose of human life. I always liked the idea of Ray & Egon just kinda always being partners in paranormal research. Living at the fire house full time.

But I do think he would love the child and come to see it as his greatest legacy
RichardLess wrote: December 9th, 2021, 4:12 pm
The only time Egon expresses any kind of concern is when something catastrophic could potentially occur(crossing the stream, shutting down the protection grid, having the gate keeper/key master meet up.)
I do want to point out that Egon asked if Dana and Oscar were ok FIRST after the slime came out of the bathtub, even when Ray's reaction was "That's great!". So I would posit he cares about a very small, select group of things very strongly, and literally everything else is expendable.
We know Callie was born in 83 from the photo on his wall in Afterlife. I would think that while he was at the University before they were kicked out and became GB's that the relationship just didn't go well and Callie and her mom moved or such. I think The guys knew Egon and Winston had families but it just never came up because it didn't need to both from a film or a story point. Winston says he has kids in the credit scene but we don't hear anything about them either in the other films. I'm hoping we'll go through that in future projects.
RealGhostbusterJay wrote: December 10th, 2021, 7:04 am We know Callie was born in 83 from the photo on his wall in Afterlife.
I'd have to re-watch the movie but I thought the note with that year was a summary of her developmental progress for '83 that year rather than absolute confirmation she was born that year.
deadderek liked this
Kingpin wrote: December 10th, 2021, 11:27 am
RealGhostbusterJay wrote: December 10th, 2021, 7:04 am We know Callie was born in 83 from the photo on his wall in Afterlife.
I'd have to re-watch the movie but I thought the note with that year was a summary of her developmental progress for '83 that year rather than absolute confirmation she was born that year.
1983 was the earliest year I spotted, but I don't think it was Callie's year of birth. The photo next to the note looked like she was 2-3 years old.
Kingpin liked this
Ecto24601 wrote: December 10th, 2021, 1:20 pm
Kingpin wrote: December 10th, 2021, 11:27 am

1983 was the earliest year I spotted, but I don't think it was Callie's year of birth. The photo next to the note looked like she was 2-3 years old.
Carrie Coon's real life birthday, according to IMBD, is Jan 24, 1981. That would more or less match up with that.

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]

It appears that some time today someone who […]

Correct, it grants several in fact the Melody's […]

Are they just newspaper clippings or something? […]