By jackdoud
So in while getting my pack built for dragoncon I realized I had all the parts for a set of goggles sitting around. Since I was going nuts trying to get one project done on time why not go nuts trying to do two! :sigh:

I've had a set of real frames since Vince's run and some of the not-quite-accurate-but-close microscope adaptors discussed in this thread: http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtop ... 12&t=28440. So while cutting aluminum for brackets for the pack I rough cut some plates for the goggles and messed with mounting the lenses while waiting for paint and putty to dry on the pack.

The lenses are only loose-fit, I need to JB weld them in once the plates are painted. I've got them primed and will be giving them a coat of olive drab tomorrow before I leave for Dragoncon Wednesday Morning. Nothing like the last minute to get you to finally finish projects that have been sitting around...
Kingpin liked this
By jackdoud
Down to the wire but I got them done. Couldn't find a good paint but I think I got it close enough:

The lenses were attached with JB Weld:

I added weatherstripping to the back as padding:

And done:

I'm borrowing a set of military straps from a friend for the con, I'll get around to making some more accurate straps later.
Kingpin liked this
By venkman30
do you or anyone else know of any goggle sticker pics on the site here? i've tried looking but haven't been able to find any that i can print off.
By kevinj319
I like this build. I don't even care so much that the lenses aren't entirely accurate, they look good.
By jackdoud
So I finally finished up this build. After talking with mburkit we agreed that the original straps looked to be leather instead of nylon or elastic. We picked up a couple off-cut strips of 4oz leather on ebay as well as the accurate D-ring and ladder buckle on Strapworks.com. After cutting the leather down to 1" I attached the snaps to the side band and riveted the d-ring to the top band.

These will probably be relegated to display only for the most part as they're just too heavy to stay on my head. They constantly slip down and will fall off if I look down at all. I'm not gonna shave my head just to wear goggles. :sigh:

By Vee
Oooh man, this is a lovely pair of goggles. Can't say that I've ever seen anyone do leather straps before. I kinda like it!
By mburkit
Yeah, we sat and stared at screen caps for a while until we came to the conclusion that we should use leather. We both finished up our goggles and I don't know what Jack is complaining about, both of our sets of goggles fit me just fine! Cut your hair, ya hippy.
By mburkit
Wallabe wrote:Matt or Jack, can you actually move the goggles from "up" to "down" or vice versa with the leather straps (without adjusting them)?
I can. I'll hijack Jack's thread and post some of my build then.
By Wallabe
That seals it for me then. My current movie setup is nylon, and it can't do that. Time to order some leather.

This may sound stupid, but do you know is there a trick to getting the snaps off the side? Last time I tried to take them off to upgrade the snap setup, they didn't want to budge and I felt like I'd rip the male end out of the frame.
By jackdoud
Matt didn't leave me quite enough leather to fit the goggles over my eyes but I don't have the eye holes cut out and it won't fit over my glasses anyway so I was going to make it as strictly headwear from the start. Matt can move both his and mine up and down on his head though.

Not sure what you mean about taking the snap off, they can be a bit tight to unsnap the strap but should pop just fine. I actually screwed up the first pop-rivet on the d-ring. The rivet gun pulled twice then cut off the shaft 1" above the rivet head without fully compressing it so I had to grind it out and use the 2nd one mburkit left me. No issues with the frame but mine had a massive hole there so the rivet never really touched them, I use a washer on the inside to hold it. I'm more worried about the side snaps holding as both sides of mine are cracked around the snap head.
mburkit wrote: I'll hijack Jack's thread and post some of my build then.
Can I post the picture of your bald spot?
By Wallabe
I don't foresee actually using that feature much, I was more curious about accuracy, so that's fantastic.

As far as the snaps, I'm not entirely sure either. They're on really frickin' tight and I don't want to end up damaging the frames.
By mburkit
jackdoud wrote:Can I post the picture of your bald spot?
No.

Anyway, here's some photos of my build which is pretty similar, except I used lenses I got from Jimbo7.

Top of my head:

Down over my eyes:
"It puts the lotion on it's skin or it gets the hose again. . ."

And the strap in the back:

When I'm not wearing my glasses, I can have either my goggles or Jack's resting on my head just fine and/or down over my eyes. I can actually see out of mine, since I cut out the holes behind the lenses.
Kingpin liked this
By Alex Newborn
jackdoud wrote:Couldn't find a good paint but I think I got it close enough...
Glad I'm not the only one who has difficulty matching the paint on real frames when making the plates. My frames also came from Vinny's run, they were one of the first things I bought from the For Sale pages here back in September/October of 2011.

I was never satisfied with my acrylic plates, which were painted with a Testors OD sprayed over black while both were wet. In the store the label matched the frames perfectly, but when you actually sprayed it, it dried much too light.

Alas, those Goggles took a tumble off a low cardboard box onto a tile floor and somehow this was enough to completely crack the acrylic faceplate and re-break the fixed frames in two spots that had been glued back together when they arrived.

I've been procrastinating cutting new plates, but seeing pairs of goggles like these has been inspiring, I think it's time to re-make my first prop.

Alex

Looks like I’ll be clearing some of my colle[…]

I know you didn’t ask me, but here’s[…]

Ghostbusters Day 2024

Some new details on the Buffalo Ghostbusters' cele[…]

I'd love a photo of how you wired up the charging […]